Many women battle with improper hormonal balance. This imbalance can cause many issues such as depression, problems with your weight, premature and incorrect signs of menopause, problems within pregnancy and delivery, and infertility. Hormonal imbalance can be very aggravating and is often times exacerbated by a poor diet or a diet full of processed foods and white flours/sugars. The first goal to hormonal balance begins with your diet. Your diet should be carefully assessed and modified to eliminate toxins and add beneficial foods. Once your diet has been modified herbal therapy may be needed to help balance your hormones. Hormonal balance should always be the key. The goal should never be adding hormones to your system. We believe your body works best when it is regulating your own hormones properly and with a healthy diet and the proper herbs, this can almost always be accomplished. Even if you are not trying to achieve fertility, your goal should be for proper hormonal balance regardless of your current life stage (pre-childbearing, childbearing, post-childbearing, or menopausal)
We have completed a great deal of research on some of the best herbs available for hormonal balance (listed below for your knowledge and information). We have also formulated an incredible tea (Healthy Woman Hormone Balancing Tea), which incorporates the best blends of many of these herbs to help you achieve hormonal balance. As with all nutritional supplements and especially herbs, you should always seek the advice of your midwife prior to using any herb. She will understand your constitution best and will be able to suggest the best dietary and herbal plan for you at the appropriate dosage.
Herbs that help to balance hormones:
- Chaste Berry extract --- Chaste Berry has been found to regulate the menstrual cycle by acting on the pituitary gland. It can also relieve menstrual symptoms, such as acne and headaches. Studies have shown that Chaste Berry also acts as a hormone regulator by increasing progesterogenic activity. It helps balance hormones produced during women's monthly cycles, leading to a shift in the estrogen- progesterone ratio, resulting in less estrogen to cause or aggravate PMS.
- Niacin --- Niacin is essential to the manufacture of female hormones. It also helps increase the flow of blood to the genitals.
- Dong Quai root extract --- Dong Quai is a popular women's herb used in China and Japan . It is used to treat ailments affecting the female organs and the smooth muscles of the uterus. It further helps to maintain a proper balance of female hormones.
- Fo-ti root extract --- A rejuvenating herb, Fo-ti is used to treat impotency and infertility. This herb is also beneficial to the effects of aging, such as loss of hair color and muscle tone.
- Ashwagandha root --- Commonly referred to as Indian Ginseng, Ashwagandha root is considered an aphrodisiac herb. It has been used for more than 2500 years as an adaptogen and a tonic to promote vigor and stamina.
- Damiana --- Damiana is the world's most renowned herbal aphrodisiac. In addition to helping with sexual impotency and infertility, it has been touted to balance female hormones, strengthen reproductive organs, and control and reduce hot flashes during menopause.
- Cramp bark --- Menstrual pain is caused by excessive contraction of the uterus. Considered an anti-spasmodic since the mid-1800s, cramp bark has been used to relieve menstrual pain and to relax the uterine muscles.
- Ginger root --- Has been found to safely balance eicosanoids, inhibiting the inflammatory process. It also thins blood, increasing blood flow in sexual activities.
- Red Raspberry Leaf --- The most enduring reputation for raspberry leaf preparations as a remedy for "female troubles." Best when brewed as a tea. Gives tone to the muscles of the pelvic region, including the uterus itself. Rich in vitamin C, vitamin E and the easily assimilated calcium and iron. It also includes vitamins A and B complex and many minerals, including phosphorus and potassium. It increases fertility pre-pregnancy when combined with red clover. It helps to prevent miscarriage and hemorrhage by making the uterus atonic. It eases morning sickness due to its gentle relief of nausea and the stomach muscular lining and will thus ease nausea caused by hormonal imbalances as well. It is known as the strengthener of the entire female reproductive system. An absolute must for every woman from the onset of menstruation until life's end.
- Oat Straw (Avena) -- Has a long-standing reputation as a booster of sexual performance.
- Red Clover -- The single most useful herb for establishing fertility. Its high vitamin content is especially useful for the uterus; its high protein content aids the entire body; its profuse and exceedingly absorbable calcium and magnesium relax the nervous system and promote good hormonal health (including a heightening of fertility during the child-bearing years) in every stage of life; its high mineral content, including virtually every trace mineral needed by the glands, helps restore and balance hormonal functions. In addition, red clover alkalinizes the body and may balance the acid/alkaline level of the vagina and uterus, which is favorable in limiting infections (such as yeast) and promoting conception if desired.
Contact His Grace Herbals and Midwifery with any questions regarding Hormonal balance. 757-479-1737